Jean Doussoux and Jean-Marie Baillif, bouilleurs dein Saint Palais de Phiolon (bons bois)
In 1865 Jean-Baptiste Doussoux installs his first pot-still and starts making cognacs. During the war the company came to a standstill, but in Jean Doussoux continues the company. The two old and small alambics, 3.7 and 4.1 hectoliters respectively, are replaced by a 20 HL alambic in 1965. Already in his seventees he associates in 1993 with Jean-Marie Baillif.
Ten years later Jean Doussoux passed away, 91 years old. During his life he always managed to keep part of his production aside, resulting in an extarordinary series of bons bois cognacs. in his cellar.
Jean-Marie Baillif owns 51 hectares of vineyard, mostly ugni blanc. For the ageing process he uses limousin oak.
Range (bons bois):
– VS; distilled by Bailif in 1996 and 1997, assemblage by Baillif
– VSOP; distilled by Doussoux and Baillif between 1992 and 1995, assemblage by Baillif
– XO single cask; distilled by Doussoux and Bailif in 1989, assemblage by Baillif
– XO no.20; distilled by Doussoux between 1977 and 1986, assemblage by Baillif
– XO no.30; distilled by Doussoux between 1967 and 1976, assemblage by Baillif
– XO no.40; distilled by Doussoux between 1957 and 1966, assemblage by Baillif; major part was distilled in the two small alambics of 3.7 and 4.1 hectoliters.
– XO no.50; distilled by Doussoux in the two small alambics of 3.7 and 4.1 hectoliters between 1947 and 1956, assemblage by Baillif.
(The last very special cognacs: for as long as they last.)
Besides cognacs they make an excellent pineau.
Other brand names they sometimes use:
- Au bout du Monde
- Domaine du Chêne (pineau)
- Maine d’Autant (pineau)
Address: Domaine Du Chêne, 20 Rue des Chênes, 17800 Saint Palais de Phiolin. Telephone: 0546 709229; mob.: 06 11485703. (Opening hours Monday till Friday 10-12h and 14-18h; saturday on appointment.)